Date: June 9, 2017
Do you have students who are not attending or participating during your lessons? In this session, Dr. Archer will address evidence-based factors that effect student engagement including the following variables:
• Active Participation: Student actively participates during the class.
• Self-Efficacy: Student is confident that he/she will be successful on a task.
• Growth Mindset: Student believes that achievement is a product of learning and effort.
• Teacher-Student Relationship Quality: The quality of the relationship between teacher and student is high.
• Teacher Expectations: The teacher conveys an expectation that the student can learn and achieve.
An emphasis will be placed on active participation and research-validated procedures for involving all students in instruction including the use of verbal responses (e.g., choral, partner, team, individual, debates, discussions), written responses (e.g., writing frames, response slates and response cards, electronic responders), and action responses (e.g., simulations, acting out, gestures, hand signals).
Participants will be able to:
• Convey the importance of each of these variables and how each can be addressed in the classroom.
• Select and apply active participation procedures that can be applied in their domain.
Who Should Attend?
General Educators, Content Area Teachers, Special Educators, Reading Specialists, Literacy Coordinators, Administrators
$185. $165 if two or more attend from the same school or school district. Includes: light breakfast, break refreshments, and lunch. Payment is made to The Reading Institute.
7 Professional Development Points
Register Early - Limited Enrollment
The Reading Institute
430 Main Street
Williamstown, MA 01267
May 19, 2017
Cancel 10 days prior to training and receive a refund minus a $50 service charge. No refund for cancellations made within 10 days of the training.
Substitutions may be made. Please notify The Reading Institute, Inc. with the name of the alternate participant in advance.
Confirmation and directions will be mailed to each participant. You are not registered unless you receive a confirmation letter.
Reservations need to be made directly with the hotels. A lodging list will be sent with your confirmation. Specify you are with The Reading Institute when making reservations. Be sure to make lodging reservations early for best selection.
Dr. Anita Archer serves as an educational consultant to school districts on explicit instruction and literacy instruction. She has taught elementary and middle school students and is the recipient of ten Outstanding Educator awards. Dr. Archer has served on the faculties of San Diego State University, the University of Washington, and the University of Oregon. She is nationally known for her presentations and publications on instructional procedures and literacy instruction and has coauthored numerous instruction materials with Dr. Mary Gleason including the REWARDS literacy programs and, most recently, a textbook on explicit instruction with Dr. Charles Hughes.